Uh oh! Launch Postponed until Tuesday Afternoon

I sure hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we’ve been running a lot of download tests today and we just weren’t happy with the results. Preorders have really picked up over the past few days, so we wanted to make sure nothing goes wrong and that everyone will have a happy fast download. Unfortunately, we were not very pleased with these results earlier in the day. Luckily, we have now reworked the downloading system and are extremely happy. All the tests we’ve done in the past few hours have been superb to say the least.

However, it’s very late over here now and we’re a bit hesitant about hitting that button. No matter how much you test, you never know what can happen. For this reason, we are holding back the Fractal Launch until tomorrow afternoon ( Tuesday, May 25th ). I cannot apologize enough. In the end, we are only trying to make sure everyone has a better experience.

We are incredibly excited and cannot wait until tomorrow afternoon! See you then!

1. Miareva says:

It’s cool. I’m just excited to play! Thanks for making sure the download process goes smoothly. 🙂

2. killercow says:

gmt+1 here so i’m in the same boat (No i’m not really in a boat otherwise i wouldn’t get access to my pc)

3. evilteq says:

How many people are refreshing the web page every 20 seconds? Come on, you can say it, we are among friends here… 😛

We should throw up a webcam for you guys during launches. You can see all the tension and tantrums =) Reaaallly soon now =)

5. William says:

Then we would probably stop torturing you telling you to flip the switch because we would see that it really isn’t that simple?

6. CK says:

When Will says “flip the switch” I picture someone sitting at a computer with their mouse pointer over a big red “LAUNCH” button looking over their shoulder at a group of guys scurrying around frantically in white lab coats: “How about now guys? No? Not yet? Are you sure? Okay…. How about now?… No? Ok just give me the cue….. Oh gosh don’t spill that!! Dain your coat is on fire!” 😉

7. epsilon says:

Hey! It’s wednesday 0:53 h here! Tomorrow I have to get up early so I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow morning. I hate timezones…

8. Colapse says:

It’s 21:30 in Brazil… what rly annoys me it’s the fact of there is not a single word about nothing… even in CP twitter there is no clue about what is happening… I believe it’s NIGHT in all countries – so was postphoned again…

MediaTemple, our host has been under DDos attack and we’ve been working to make sure everything is resolved. We have no intention of pushing the launch back another day. We’re getting everything up as soon as we can.

10. William says:

I suppose that I am satisfied as long as it is released sometime before it hits midnight eastern time, but I do hope that they don’t postpone it for another day. I would however like to know what is keeping it and about what time we can expect it so that we all aren’t sitting at our computers hitting refresh every 20 seconds to see if something has changed. speaking of which *refresh*

Soo… What’s the preorder surprise? I guess you can tell us now since technically it was supposed to have been released by now.

12. William says:

Are the attacks preventing you from releasing it, or are you worried about the attacks tainting the release? Also, can you release the identity of the person responsible for the attacks so we as a community can collectively punch him/her/it in the face for keeping us from fractal?

I doubt they can easily find out the identity of the attacker. And if they do I doubt MediaTemple will just announce it to everyone.

14. William says:

lol, the second question was more of a joke, but don’t you think that a collective punch in the face might teach the attacker a good lesson. That or a hefty fine… on second thought the fine is probably the easier way to go.

I’d love a good punch in the face, but the only place i’ve been able to find any info was at https://twitter.com/MediaTemple In fact, MediaTemple disconnected their phones and wouldn’t even comment on the situation. We weren’t sure what the hell was going on. They are currently claiming it was a DDos attack on their DNS, but the whole thing sounds strange.

We’re actually not too worried about the attacks, it just caused us some issues getting everything set on the server. But, now that we have access again things are fine. Media Temple has been Tweeting that everything is going to take a bit to stabilize and could be a bit up/down for awhile, so we’re just waiting an hour (maybe 2) to make sure there isn’t another attack or something silly. This is all pretty frustrating for us as well, but these things just happen. However, it does make me re-think our hosting solution. Media Temple has not been doing very well lately.

Meanwhile, for anyone who pre-ordered. We have just given you your surprise. Dain worked hard to sketch out a nice full length Fractal theme, so we made it available for free to anyone who pre-ordered. Just login to your store account to redeem the mp3. I hope you like it!

I know you guys were really hoping for an Auditorium Soundtrack, but that might not be too far off either.

As for Steam (Neil!) we never said we wouldn’t be offering it, but honestly…you can do everything with our system that you can do with Steam and we maintain control. Once you lose control your stuff starts slipping, not to mention the 30% loss of profit.

16. Aerorae says:

Heck I’m totally for skipping steam altogether. I don’t like having Valve looking over my shoulder and I hate the 10-times-per-month client updates that do nothing interesting for me.

Glad things are back up! Look forward to playing very soon!

17. Eric says:

I like a non-Steam option. I game offline all the time, and don’t like all the added crapware they add. For that reason I also don’t buy from places like Big Fish or Wild Tangent. For those of us honest enough to pay for games, we appreciate being able to buy DRM-free games that don’t require additional software.

18. Tyler says:

Well, the only good thing about Steam is not worrying about a different log-in for each little Indy studio. But I hear ya, 30% is 30%!

Also, has anyone actualyl tried to download anything from Steam the same night as a major content update? A friend gifted me a game the same night the first big L4D2 patch/thing came out. After about 6 hours trying to get it to start downloading, I left it on over-night and was 2.5% of the way done because their servers were getting hammered.

Its a great idea to have it in the cloud, but when a major release comes out it’s worse than a stampede at Walmart on Black Friday.

Also, I’m sad its not out yet, as EVE is down too. Well, I’d be angry if you released it and then I couldn’t down load it, so I guess being a little sad is better than having righteous internet-anger.

19. Miareva says:

Yeah – I’d think twice about continuing to hand my money over to a company that turns their phones off in the middle of a customer service crisis.

Thanks for the pre-order gift! 🙂 Gonna go grab it right now. So looking forward to playing the game!

20. StarFoxA says:

The theme is awesome, definitely going straight to my iTunes library. It’s 11:00 pm EST right now, so I’m going to go ahead and assume that the game is launching tomorrow rather than within the hour. Looking forward to it!

21. Sean says:

Damn you DDoS attack! Damn! You! I have to wait another day? I will second any petitions to fine and/or pummel the persons responsible! 😀

22. Michael Leuchtenburg says:

I’m totally with you on skipping Steam – I prefer the non-Steam option when it’s available. Looks like the hosting issues are resolved now as I just downloaded it at 1MB/sec.